Extrusion Die Repair Service
Machinery Equipment Rebuilder’s Inc. is an expert in extrusion die repair. Our proven system of die rebuilding begins even before the die arrives to our facility
The steps in re-building your extrusion die:
- Extrusion Die problems are discussed with the customer to better understand the scope of the rework. (leakage, dielines, gauging problems)
- The Die assembly is digitally recorded.
- A complete inspection of the outer die body is performed, noting the condition of the guards, electrical wiring and heaters, along with recording of the die gap.
- A detailed recommendation is made to the customer on required repairs. (i.e. heaters, adjustment bolts, and wiring)
- The die is then disassembled and digital photos are taken of the flow cavity.
- A complete inspection of the internal flow surfaces is recorded, noting feed channel depths, manifold dimensions, and surface blemishes.
- The chrome is stripped from the die. The die seal areas are ground and the flow cavities polished. The lip area is polished to 1-3 Ra and 4-6 Ra in the flow cavity. The lip area is ground flat within .0001 per 3 inches of width.
- The extrusion die is chromed .001 – .0015 on all flow surfaces and flash chromed on the outer body for corrosion protection.
- The chrome is polished and any chrome build-up is removed.
- The die is reassembled in “like new” condition and returned to the customer.
Specialized Machining & Metal Fabrication
MER has a history of machining products to exacting tolerances, even in specialty alloys such as 316, 17-4, and 400 series stainless steels. In addition, we regularly machine hardened D-2 mixing liners (60 Rc), hastalloy, inconel, and powered metals such as CPM10V and MPL.
Over the years, we have established ourselves as a quality metal fabricator of:
- Co-extrusion feedblocks
- Twinscrew inserts/Sleeves
- Transfer tubes and adapters
- Compounding and mixing liners
- Strand Dies and strainer plates
- Pipe dies
- Salt Compaction Rolls
- Granulation Rolls
- Feedpipe Adapters
- Feedpipe Elbows
- Cutter Knives
- Screen Changers
- Project Management
- Clients appreciate our comprehensive project management support system. Our global resources can get your most difficult project to the finish line.
- Quality parts, On Time, and On Budget!
FILM, SHEET & PROFILE EXTRUSION DIES
HARD CHROMIUM PLATING
We offer in-house interior and exterior precision plating for all extrusion die systems. Standard chromium thickness for extrusion dies are .001 to .002 of an inch. Thicker localized deposits from .003 to .010 can be specified for extremely high wear areas. Our conforming anode technology gives us the edge in depositing an even layer of chromium on complex tooling designs. We utilize the most up to date masking materials available to protect mating surfaces and non-flow areas. Whether its pvc pipe tooling, sheet extrusion dies, blown film dies or injection molding tooling, MER INC. has the capabilities to meet your plating needs. We have serviced the plastic industry for more than thirty-five years and have built an excellent national reputation with original equipment manufacturers as well as processors. Unlike many standard plating shops, we have the knowledge and experience to perform the highest quality plating available for extrusion dies.
MER Inc. has the ability and technology to perform the necessary repairs for all die systems. Both of our facilities offer in-house machining, welding, grinding, polishing and optical mirror finishing. We can resolve seal leaks, refinish die lips, resize entry adapter holes, repair dings and nicks, repair broken bolts, etc. Our in-house plating and machining programs allow us to turn die rebuilds in a matter of weeks. For more details on repairs please feel free to give us a call.
Precision Machining, Grinding & Polishing
To meet our customers expectations, we offer close tolerance precision grinding, machining, polishing, and finishing services to a wide range of industries. Our in-house full service machine shops allow us to take your worn or damaged machinery and restore them back to original specifications. We have several independent departments designed specifically for hand polishing dies, commercial belt polishing for hydraulic shafts, surface grinding for flat plates and cylindrical grinding for all types of industrial rolls. These combined services give us the tools we need to properly prepare base metal surfaces prior to plating and meet exact final specifications after plating. THE FINAL RESULT: A high quality finished product, one dependable vendor, incomparable customer service and shorter lead times.
- I.D./O.D. POLSHING & GRINDING
- I.D./O.D. MACHINING
- VERTICAL MILLING
- SURFACE GRINDING & FINISHING
- OPTICAL MIRROR FINISHING
- VARIOUS GRIT BLASTING FINISHES